What is subject to this policy?
This prohibition applies to the ad, the landing page, the username, handle, bio, profile photo, and header image of the advertiser account. It also applies to targeting and hashtag appropriation.
This policy applies to Twitter’s paid advertising products.
What is the policy?
Twitter prohibits ads that contain inappropriate content globally. While all content on Twitter is subject to the Twitter Rules, we place additional restrictions on advertising content.
Categories of content we consider to be inappropriate for advertising include:
- Dangerous or exploitative content
- Demeaning or inflammatory content
- Personal attacks
- Misrepresentative content
- Misleading synthetic or manipulated content
- Content engaged in coordinated harmful activity
- Distasteful content
- Profanity and vulgarity
- Content that refers to a sensitive event or topic (e.g. deaths, natural/industrial disasters, violent attacks, civil disorder, etc.) and contains any of the following: personal attacks, hashtag appropriation, the selling of goods/services, political campaigning, solicitation of followers, or other inappropriate content.
COVID-19 Guidance for Managed Advertisers (last updated September 10th 2020)
This guidance applies to managed advertisers only (including managed self serve advertisers). Self serve advertisers without a managed relationship are prohibited from promoting implicit or explicit reference to COVID-19
What is restricted?
Advertising containing implicit or explicit reference to COVID-19 is allowed in the following use cases, with restrictions*:
- adjustments to business practices and/or models in response to COVID-19
- support for customers and employees related to COVID-19
*The following restrictions apply to these use cases:
- distasteful references to COVID-19 (or variations) are prohibited
- content may not be sensational or likely to incite panic
- prices of products related to COVID-19 may not be inflated
- the promotion of certain products related to COVID-19 may be prohibited
- We currently prohibit the advertising of medical facemasks and alcohol hand sanitizers (with or without reference to COVID). Please note that other products may be added to this list and enforcement can be retroactive.
What is permitted?
- Public Service Announcements (PSAs) related to COVID-19 from governments & supranational entities (for example, World Health Organisation), as well as trusted partners approved by the Public Policy team
- News related to COVID-19 from media publishers who have been exempted under the Political Ads Content policy. If you are interested and qualify for this exemption please contact Twitter.
- The promotion of COVID-19 vaccines, treatments and test kits from approved Healthcare advertisers. Contact Twitter if you are interested in this option.
What other Twitter resources relate to this policy?